Vegan Lemon & Damson Crumble Muffins
Makes: 12 muffins
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup aquafaba (or 1 egg)
- 1/3 cup neutral oil
- 1/4 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Damson Collection Plum Jam (loosened with 2 tablespoons milk)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or butter)
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line or grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, almond meal and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate, larger bowl, add the aquafaba and whisk until frothy. If using an electric whisk, this will take around 30 seconds. If using a handheld whisk, it will take up to a minute. Gradually add the oil, continuing to whisk the mixture as the liquids emulsify. Add the sugar in the same way.
- Add the milk, lemon juice and zest until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, slowly add the flour to the mixture, folding each spoonful in until you have a thick and sticky muffin mixture.
- To make the crumble, heat the coconut oil until soft, then add the dry ingredients to a small bowl along with the coconut oil. Using your fingers, combine the ingredients until a crumbly mixture forms. This will be your muffin topping.
- Add the mixture to the muffin tin in heaped tablespoons. Using a teaspoon, make a small well in each muffin and spoon in one teaspoon of the Plum Jam. Sprinkle with the crumble mixture.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve and enjoy with more jam!